Holy Trinity's facilities (Church, Upper School/Theater, and Lower School) are in need of major renovation. We want to thank everyone who has taken the time to review early versions of the plans and to provide feedback. Your suggestions have been very valuable and have helped us to further refine the proposed drawings. Approval to proceed to the next step of the project planning process has been received from the Archdiocese of Washington.
The Proposed Scheduled for the renovation of the buildings is now available. Please note that this is the best-case schedule, and it may change.
Changes to the Upper School Building (including the Theater) and Lower School Building:
Planned building renovations (as of January 2013) will include the following changes to the Upper School Building (including the theater) and the Lower School Building:
- Upgrade plumbing and electrical wiring to bring them up to code.
- Upgrade fire protection measures.
- Make the buildings ADA-compliant by adding an elevator to each building, and providing an entrance to each building at grade level.
- Reconfiguring the interior of the under-utilized theater space by leveling the floor and converting it into a multi-purpose room with a gymnasium-type floor, providing more indoor exercise space for children in the school and parish throughout the day.
- Add or reconfigure bathrooms for both men and women throughout both buildings.
- Add small tutoring rooms in each building.
- Reconfigure/add classroom space and storage space.
- Extend back the top floor of the Upper School building (above the current theater), creating a consistent roofline from front to back. Note that the front and side rooflines facing the streets will not change.
More details are available by clicking here. Nearly all renovations are to the school’s interior. The theater façade that is currently visible from O Street will remain the same. The only changes to fronts/sides of the two buildings on all of the surrounding streets will be providing grade-level entrance into each building, making them both ADA-compliant. The addition of the elevators and reconfiguration of some of the classrooms/restrooms will be visible from the interior courtyard behind the Lower School and the parking lot/courtyard behind the Upper School.
It is important to note that we are not planning to increase the capacity of the school, only to make the buildings work better for our present enrollment. In other words, we do not expect these improvements to increase traffic or noise or other visible or felt impacts in the neighborhood.
Current Version of Drawings (as of January 2013)
The preliminary architectural drawings have been revised based on your feedback and the latest version of the drawings is posted below. The drawings are now in the review process. We anticipate additional changes before the drawings are finalized.
1) Photos and Site Plan of the exterior of the Lower School & Upper School Buildings, existing(January 2013)
2) Drawings of the planned changes to the front of the Lower School and Upper School Buildings (January 2013)
3) Drawings of the Lower School Building Interior, existing and planned layout (January 2013)
4) Drawings of the Upper School Building Interior (1st and 2nd floor), including the Theater (January 2013)
5) Drawings of the Upper School Building Interior (3rd floor and roof) (January 2013)
6) Artist's Conception of the Upper School Multi-Purpose Room Exterior (former theater) (January 2013)
7) Artist's Conception of the Upper School Multi-Purpose Room Interior, (former theater) (May 2012)
8) A list of updates to the Church building (March 2012)